Monday, August 8, 2011

The Perfect Flan

Flan is one of my favorite desserts of all time. I'm a fan of custard-y, creamy things and flan definitely fits the bill. I'd been afraid of attempting to make flan from scratch for the longest time, but I finally tackled this recipe a few days ago and, with the help of Sugar Baby, the product was unbelievably delicious. The flans came out super rich and creamy, the caramel was just perfect, and it was a HUGE hit with my friends and family. I'm in love.


pour molten caramelized sugar into each ramekin
and swirl to coat thoroughly. be careful not to
burn yourself as the caramel is extremely hot.


pour custard cream over caramel coated ramekins and bake
in hot water bath.


after ramekins have cooled overnight, run a knife around
the edges to loosen and invert flan. voila! 


My personal notes:
*Use real vanilla beans. Don't use vanilla extract or artificial flavors for this recipe because the vanilla bean makes the flan. You can find vanilla beans at any specialty store or Whole Foods.
*While making the caramel sauce, remove the pot from the heat immediately before it reaches your desired deep amber hue. The caramel will continue to darken after you take it off the stove, so swirl the pan to cool the mixture. 
*Handle the caramel with extreme caution. I burned fingers while coating the ramekins.
*Make sure not to overcook the flans. Bake it for the suggested 40 minutes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...