Sunday, February 9, 2014

Margherita Pizza



I've never met a person who doesn't love pizza. It's the ultimate comfort food, and the possibilities are endless. I've seen some pretty creative toppings, but when it comes to pizza, my mantra is to keep it simple. I recently attempted to recreate my favorite margherita pizza from Mother Dough, one of my favorite pizza joints in LA.  Of course, I used store-bought pizza dough, so I'll be the first to admit I was light years away from achieving the consistency of Mother Dough's crust.  But, hey, it was worth a shot.  And even though it wasn't restaurant quality, it was still a pretty flavorful, rustic pizza.


Above:  Pizza doesn't have to be round! On a floured surface, stretch the dough out to your desired shape and thickness. Drizzle with good olive. Season with salt and pepper.
Below: Spoon tomato sauce on the dough.  Avoid putting too much sauce (unless you like soggy pizza).


Below: Slice fresh mozzarella and generously dot on pizza.  Make sure to dry mozzarella with paper towel to absorb the excess moisture.  Dot the pizza with fresh basil. Lightly season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Bake in very hot oven at a minimum of 450 degrees for about 10-15 minutes until the sauce is bubbling. Serve with red chili pepper flakes.





LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...